Michael E. Lubowitz, Esq.
Mr. Lubowitz is co-head of Weil, Gotshal & Manges’ New York Private Equity and Mergers & Acquisitions Department. He represents public and private companies in a broad range of transactions, including leveraged buyouts, friendly and hostile acquisitions, strategic investments, tender and exchange offers, proxy contests, spin-offs, director governance advice and in and out of court restructurings.
Mr. Lubowitz also has represented both issuers and underwriters in public offerings and private placements of equity securities and senior and subordinated debt instruments. Representative clients he has advised include, among others: American Securities Capital, CBS Corporation, C.R. Bard, DIRECTV, Lehman Brothers, Macquarie Group, Reuters, Verizon Inc. and Visteon Corporation.
Mr. Lubowitz received his B.A. from Brandeis University and his J.D., summa cum laude, from American University, Washington College of Law. In 2005, he was named one of The National Law Journal's “40 Under 40”, a list that identifies leading young attorneys in various areas of law nationwide. Mr. Lubowitz was recognized in 2009 and 2010 as a leading lawyer in Mergers and Acquisitions in the IFLR Guide to the World's Leading Financial Law Firms. He was recognized in 2010 and 2011 in Chambers USA America’s Leading Lawyers for Business as a leader in the field of Mergers and Acquisitions. He is a member of the Committee on Financial Reporting of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York and a member of the Advisory Board to the University of Pennsylvania’s Institute for Law and Economics.
Representative pro bono and not-for-profit matters in which Mr. Lubowitz has been involved include:
- Providing corporate counseling to Hip Hop Education, a non-profit organization that helps youth create positive self-expression through music and arts, build self-esteem, develop leadership skills and increase youth involvement in their community;
- Providing pro bono services to Holocaust survivors at Bet Tzedek Legal Services/Holocaust Services;
- Providing advice with respect to advocacy activities and 501(c)3 status and New York State laws for Partnership for the Homeless, which seeks community change through solution-oriented programs and policy initiatives that eliminate the root causes of homelessness;
- Providing counsel to an Iraqi citizen who provided valuable assistance to the United States in navigating through the U.S. refugee resettlement process, in order to leave Iraq and resettle in the US; and
- Acting General Counsel to the Tri-Town Little League and the Briarcliff Sports Council in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey.
Mr. Lubowitz resides in Mountain Lakes, New Jersey with his wife and their three children.