University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro
1 Plainsboro Road
Plainsboro, NJ 08536
The new Edward & Marie Matthews Center for Cancer Care at University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro (UMCPP) unites the Cancer Program’s cutting-edge services in one specially designed space, allowing our multidisciplinary team to give patients high quality clinical care and compassionate support in a modern, yet warm, setting. By providing a complete continuum of care, the Center gives patients full access to the specialized clinical services, rehabilitative care and support they need during treatment and recovery from cancer.
Affiliations & Recognitions
As a Clinical Research Affiliate of The Cancer Institute of New Jersey, UMCPP is helping to define new standards in cancer care while supporting national efforts to find a cure. Combining advanced diagnostic and treatment technologies with a dedicated team of cancer experts, UMCPP’s cancer services have received national recognition, including:
- Accreditation with commendation for the oncology program from the American College of Surgeons’ Commission on Cancer, and recipient of the Commission on Cancer’s Outstanding Achievement Award. Less than one-quarter of programs surveyed in 2011 received this distinguished award.
- Full accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. Less than one-quarter of acute care hospitals in the state of New Jersey have received this accreditation.
UMCPP’s Edward & Marie Matthews Center for Cancer Care provides top-quality, comprehensive care close to home, using advanced technology and science, including:
- The all-digital TrueBeam™. As the latest generation of linear accelerator, the TrueBeam™ delivers radiation treatments with unparalleled precision and speed, reducing daily treatment times, improving targeting accuracy, and allowing for great versatility in treatment design. It supports Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) techniques that allow radiation oncologists to wrap the dose around irregularly shaped tumors while sparing surrounding normal tissues. The accuracy of these treatments is further enhanced by a variety of image guidance options that localize the tumor immediately before the delivery of each treatment, an important consideration when treating tumors such as prostate and lung cancers that shift their position within the body. In addition to such Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), this new accelerator also supports techniques such as Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS) and Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT) that deliver radiation therapy with pinpoint precision to tumors in appropriate patients using only a few treatments to accomplish what used to require weeks of therapy to achieve, or required the use of specialized equipment such as a GammaKnife™ or a CyberKnife™. The new linear accelerator is complemented by both a CT simulator and a PET/CT simulator that allow radiation oncologists to use multiple imaging techniques to localize tumor targets with state-of-the-art precision to enhance the accuracy of radiation treatment planning. Our radiation oncologists also have an array of equipment that allows them to perform radioactive seed implants in selected patients with a variety of tumors, including prostate, breast and gynecological cancers.
- The da Vinci Surgical System®, a revolutionary robotic technology that provides patients with options for minimally invasive surgical procedures, resulting in significantly less pain, less scarring, shorter recovery time, faster return to normal daily activities, and, in many cases, better clinical outcomes.
- Endoscopic ultrasound, which enables physicians to see a clearer picture of tumors or masses in the gastrointestinal tract and around the lungs, resulting in improved diagnosis and treatment.
- Operating suites equipped with surgical tools that reflect advances from patient safety and comfort research.
- Direct access to imaging services and the pathology lab for fast diagnoses.
State-of-the-art breast imaging services also are available at the 8,000-square-foot UMCPP Breast Health Center in East Windsor, which has been designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology, signifying that UMCPP meets the highest standards of the radiology profession. The Breast Health Center offers:
- Outstanding clinical care under the direction of a board certified, fellowship trained breast surgeon
- Sophisticated breast care technologies, including digital mammography
- Access to certified breast health navigators, who can help coordinate all aspects of an individual’s cancer care
- Genetic counseling and testing services, available through the Cancer Institute of New Jersey LIFE Center at UMCPP Breast Health Center
- Breast health education and support services
- Comfortable, spa-like environment
- Convenient location and flexible scheduling
UMCPP Breast Health Center provides exceptional preventive care and rapid diagnostic services to help women who are diagnosed with breast cancer move quickly from testing to treatment and recovery. For more information about UMCPP’s Breast Health Center, visit www.princetonhcs.org/breasthealth. To schedule an appointment at the Breast Health Center, call 609.497.4040.
Comprehensive, Compassionate Care
UMCPP’s Edward & Marie Matthews Center for Cancer Care provides the personalized care of a community hospital with the advances of a respected teaching facility. Every element of patient care, including décor, amenities and patient services, is designed to promote comfort and healing:
- The JoAnn Heffernan-Heisen Infusion Therapy Suite, which faces the serene Punia Family Healing Garden, features 19 individual infusion treatment stations in a community setting with privately controlled heat and built-in massage, plus two private rooms.
- An American Cancer Society representative is available on-site to meet one-on-one with patients and family as part of the On-Site Patient Navigation Program, which enhances access to high-quality patient education materials, support services and other resources for newly diagnosed cancer patients and their families.
- Weekly Cancer Conferences are held with a multidisciplinary team of physicians who review National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) guidelines, along with the radiology, pathology and treatment plans for cases presented. A separate Weekly Breast Conference is held to review NCCN guidelines, along with the radiology, pathology and treatment plans for breast cancer cases. These weekly conferences are designed to ensure the most appropriate, personalized care is provided to all cancer patients.
- Patients have opportunities to participate in clinical research treatment and prevention trials.
Our Multidisciplinary Treatment Team
Coordinated care is provided for each patient by our top-rated, multidisciplinary cancer program team of:
- Board certified physicians, including medical and radiation oncologists, surgeons, radiologists and pathologists
- Nationally recognized and certified* oncology and infusion nurses
- Dedicated nurse managers and oncology educators
- A certified nurse navigator who helps guide patients through diagnosis and treatment and into wellness
- Pharmacists with board certification in oncology and pharmacotherapy, staffing an on-site cancer pharmacy
- Registered and certified radiology technicians and laboratory professionals
- Registered dietitians
- Licensed clinical social workers
- Chaplains and volunteers
On-site Patient Services
UMCPP provides advanced diagnostic and treatment technologies in one patient-centered location, together with comprehensive supportive services, including:
- Genetic evaluation and counseling
- Nutrition counseling
- Clinical trials
- Pain management
- Lymphedema therapy
- Dedicated oncology pharmacy
- Phlebotomy services
- Complementary medicine programs, such as Reiki, art therapy and yoga
- Patient and family support groups
- Pet therapy
- Patient Navigation, which guides patients from pre-diagnosis through all phases of their treatment
- Psycho-social support
- Cancer screenings
- Cancer specialty boutique
MammoRemindHER is a free, lifesaving service from University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro. Sign up and receive:
- An annual e-mail reminder to schedule your mammogram
- Monthly e-mail reminders to perform your next breast self-exam
Visit www.mammoremindher.com to sign up for your free reminders.
UMCPP and Princeton HealthCare System sponsor a wide variety of cancer-related programming throughout the year, including seminars and special events, free and low-cost screenings and cancer-related support groups. In addition, UMCPP is a recipient of a grant from Susan G. Komen for the Cure to provide education and free screening mammograms to underserved women in the community who qualify.
For information on upcoming events, call Community Education & Outreach at 1.888.897.8979 or visit www.princetonhcs.org/calendar.
For more information on the services offered by University Medical Center of Princeton at Plainsboro, please call 1.888.PHCS4YOU (1.888.742.7496) or visit www.princetonhcs.org.
*Our certified oncology nursing staff has received national recognition from the Oncology Nursing Certification Corporation.