Prostate Cancer: Dean and Betty Gallo Prostate Cancer Center
The Dean and Betty Gallo Prostate Cancer Center is uniquely positioned to make historic advancements in the prevention, research and treatment of prostate cancer.
At the center, a multi-disciplinary team of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, urologic oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, nurses, social workers, and researchers, are united in one goal - eradicating prostate cancer. To reach that goal, we have created a prostate cancer research and treatment center of extraordinary quality. It is a place where research discoveries are applied to prevention and treatment, and where compassionate care is given to patients, their families and friends. Cutting-edge clinical trials are a central component of the Prostate Cancer Program.
The Cancer Institute of New Jersey is a leader in laparoscopic renal procedures and has extensive experience with robotic prostatectomy. The major advantages of robotic prostatectomy include shorter hospital stays, lower blood loss, and faster recovery. Given that robotic surgery is a relatively new technology, surgeon experience is critical for good outcome. Under the leadership of the Urologic Oncology Program, the Cancer Institute of New Jersey has developed a center of excellence for robotic surgery and its urologic oncologists have performed more than 1,000 robotic prostatectomies over the last five years. Dr. Isaac Kim, chief of the Section of Urologic Oncology, has also developed a new surgical technique for nerve sparing (Athermal Intrafascial Robotic Prostatectomy or AIR prostatectomy) using the robot that leads to faster recovery of sexual function as well as bladder control.
Useful Link from the Resource and Learning Center:
Staff of this Program:
- Isaac Kim, MD, PhD, Executive Director, Gallo Center and Chief of Urologic Oncology
- Robert DiPaola, MD, Medical Oncologist
- Thomas Jang, MD, Urologic Oncologist
- Michael Karellas, MD, Urologic Oncologist
- Atif Khan, MD, Radiation Oncologist
- Sung Kim, MD, Radiation Oncologist
- Tina Mayer, MD, Medical Oncologist
- Eric A. Singer, MD, MA, Urologic Oncologist
- Mark Stein, MD, Medical Oncologist
- Robert Weiss, MD, Urologic Oncologist
- Doris Pindilli, RN, MSN, APN, Advanced Practice Nurse
- Kathy Morris, RN, Nurse Clinician
- Stephanie Matlin, RN, Nurse Clinician
- Dorinda Metzger, RN, Research Nurse Clinician
- Barbara Hale, MSW, Social Worker