How to Begin Using the eBook Collection
To download eBooks from our collection, you will need to use the Adobe Digital Editions software. You may also wish to sign up for an Adobe ID, which will allow you to read eBooks on multiple computers or devices. However, it is possible to utilize our eBook collection without creating an Adobe ID, but you will only be able to view the content on one computer. If you decide you want to download our eBooks to your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch, you will need to create an Adobe ID.
If you already have Adobe Digital Editions installed and authorized, please skip this section.
- Download Adobe Digital Editions. This is free software and is available for both Mac and Windows computers.
- Follow the prompts until Adobe Digital Editions is installed and open on your computer.
- You will now need to authorize the software. In the Adobe Digital Editions program, click "Help" at the top left-hand side. At the top of the drop-down list, click 'Authorize Computer".
- If you have an Adobe ID, enter the details now, then press "Authorize". If you decided not to create an Adobe ID, check the box in the lower left-hand corner of the window which says "I want to authorize my computer without an ID" and click "Continue". Follow the remaining prompts and the computer will be authorized and now able to receive incoming eBooks.
Follow the instructions below to download an eBook:
- Call the Resource and Learning Center at 732-235-9639, Monday-Friday, between the hours of 9 a.m - 4:30 p.m, to be given a username and password to access the EBSCO website. Please do not share these details with anyone else. You will be asked for your name and the patient's name, if you are not the patient.
- Use this username and password to log into the EBSCO website.
- Before selecting which collection you would like to browse, you will need to register for a free personal account, or sign into an existing EBSCO account. Click “Sign In” at the top right-hand side of the web page.
- If you already have a personal EBSCO account, login in using your username and password. If you do not, click “Create a New Account” and follow the instructions to create a username and password.
- When you have returned to the database selection page, click "eBook Collection" to search or browse the collection.
- Click on the eBook you would like to borrow. On the left-hand side of the page, click "Download This eBook (Offline)". In the pop-up window, click "Checkout & Download".
- The webpage will prompt you to open the eBook in Adobe Digital Editions; by agreeing to this, it will open Adobe Digital Editions automatically and download the eBook.
- Enjoy your eBook! After 21 days, your eBook will be returned automatically for you and will disappear from your Adobe library. You can return it earlier by right-clicking on the item and selecting "Return Borrowed Item".
If you would like to read this book using an eReader, visit the How to Download an eBook to an eReader that is Compatible with Adobe Digital Editions page. eReaders which are compatible include Nook, Kobo, Sony, and more. The Kindle eReader does not support Adobe Digital Editions.
You do not need to download Adobe Digital Editions to your computer if you only intend to read our eBooks on iOS or Android devices, but you do need an Adobe ID. We have provided separate instructions for downloading eBooks onto iOS devices and Android devices.
Click here to learn how to download an audiobook.
For help with making your account or downloading an eBook or audiobook, please call the library at 732-235-9639 during normal business hours.
You can also click here which will bring you to the EBSCO help page.
October 8, 2015