Director: Weichung Joe Shih, PhD
Through direct consultation, review, and close interactions with the Cancer Institute of New Jersey members, the Biometrics Shared Resource ensures that studies are scientifically rigorous, that goals are achievable and produce results that lead to high quality publications.
Biometrics consults with members in developing research projects, devising methodologies to support specific projects, preparing grant applications and clinical and non-clinical study proposals, monitoring ongoing clinical trials, analyzing data for publication, disseminating research results, and providing biostatistical education.
The overall purpose of the Biometrics Shared Resource is to provide statistical support for members and Programs in the Divisions of Basic, Clinical, and Public Health Science.
The specific objectives of the Biometrics Shared Resource are:
- To collaborate with investigators during the design and development of cancer studies to ensure statistical and methodological integrity
- To develop new, cancer-specific statistical methodologies, when necessary, to support the research needs of investigators
- To provide statistical review of basic-, clinical-, and population-based studies
- To support statistical monitoring and interim analysis of ongoing clinical trials
- To provide computation and statistical analyses of data
- To collaborate in the publication and/or presentation of research result
- To provide cancer center education, consultation and training activities in statistics for research staff
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF SHARED RESOURCES
The shared resources of the Cancer Institute of New Jersey are specialized service facilities that support the cancer research efforts of our members.
The shared resources are supported primarily by the Cancer Center Support Grant (CCSG) from the National Cancer Institute. Additional support may be provided from other sources, such as chargeback systems, institutional funding and/or other grants. The support from the CCSG allows the core facilities to provide benefits to Cancer Center members, such as ensured access to services or subsidies to user rates.
Please remember to acknowledge the valuable services provided by Cancer Institute Shared Resources in your research papers, publications and grant applications:
"This research was supported by the [insert name(s)] Shared Resource(s) of the Cancer Institute of New Jersey (P30CA072720)."
(Note: please also consider including the names of individuals from the shared resources if they provided any intellectual input or additional effort.)