In June 2022, 26 faculty of Rutgers Cancer Institute met with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion and restorative justice experts in guided listening circles to assess how an individual’s race, ethnicity, and gender impact their experience within the organization.
Participants were grouped and data were gathered through live focus groups and survey.
Approximately 13% of the faculty participated in their respective caucus space
Diversifying Our Environment Would Bring:
- New and different perspectives and strategies for approaching problems
- Enhanced research through diverse contributions
- More trust from patients if providers looked like them
- A sense that this is a place where I belong and can be seen and safe
- A stronger system and institution as a whole
Recommendations of Action:
Establish DEI Steering Committee to address Rutgers Cancer Institute’s challenge of colorblindness
Develop a common language for Rutgers Cancer Institute through DEI trainings
Organize affinity groups and community cultural events to reduce siloed and transactional environment