Maria Ibrahim, a Graduate student within Dr. Eileen White’s lab is expecting her first child in mid-September. Dr. Jessie Guo’s lab and Dr. Tracy Anthony’s lab joined in the celebration as well. Congratulations to Maria and her husband, Dr. Khalid Gafoor.
Former Student visits Rutgers Cancer Institute
- Dr. Yang Yang, a former PhD student mentored by Dr. Eileen White, visited Rutgers Cancer Institute on May 22, 2023. Dr. Yang has been in Dr. Rushika Perera's lab at UCSF since 2021 as a postdoctoral scholar, and his work concentrates on how autophagy regulates metabolomic enzymes in pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma in response to hypoxia.
Tobias Janowitz and Miriam Ferrer Gonzalez visit Rutgers Cancer Institute to discuss Cancer Cachexia and the Brain
- On January 19, 2023, 25 Postdoctoral students and research faculty from Rutgers Cancer Institute attended a CANCAN seminar given by Dr. Tobias Janowitz and Dr. Miriam Ferrer Gonzalez from Cold Spring Harbor Research Laboratory. The focus of the seminar was the effects of Brain Function and Cancer cachexia. Topics ranged from recent experimental findings on brain function in Cachexia mouse models to how specific biomarkers could possibly determine the Cachexia condition observed in KP mice. The seminar was very informative to help guide ideas for cancer research.
- December 19, 2022: Lab Meeting with Dr. White’s Lab and Dr. Jessie Guo’s lab.
Future Leaders Conference, Barcelona Spain November 2-4, 2022
- Cancer Grand Challenges held its annual Future Leaders Conference in Barcelona, Spain from November 2 - 4, 2022. Seven Post-doctoral Fellows and students attended from the CANCAN team. Gabriela Reyes Castellanos and Maria Ibrahim attended on behalf of the White Lab and presented their posters respectively. Gabriela presented on "Deciphering the dietary impact on cancer immunotherapy: are gut bacteria our allies to fight cancer?" and Maria presented "Defining the Role of Autophagy within Whole Body Mammalian metabolism in Health and Disease." The focus of the annual conference was to expose young investigators in the cancer research field to the opportunities that Cancer Grand Challenges can provide in cancer science. The conference will return to Barcelona, Spain later in 2023.
- Rutgers Cancer Institute Research Leader Eileen White Named Rutgers Board of Governors Professor of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
- Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey and its Top Research Leader Dr. Eileen White Selected to Lead Global Cancer Grand Challenges Team Taking on Cancer Cachexia
- Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey Leader Elected as a Member to the National Academy of Sciences
- Ludwig Cancer Research Opens New Branch Dedicated to Cancer Metabolism at Princeton University