Students in the RUYES program will:
- Receive hands-on training in cutting-edge cancer research.
- Conduct research in mentor-supervised laboratories for 10 weeks per summer for two consecutive years.
- Prepare a poster and a 10-minute talk based on their research experience for presentation at the Annual Research Day.
- Participate in educational seminars addressing key concepts in cancer and exploring the research literature.
- Receive compensation for their time and other possible expenses.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for the RUYES program a student must be:
- A rising high school senior or rising freshman/sophomore undergraduate
- From one of the following underrepresented backgrounds:
- African American
- Native American
- Alaska Native
- Pacific Islander
- A first generation college student
- From a lower socioeconomic background
- A citizen or permanent resident (green-card holder) of the United States
- Willing to commit to two full years of participation in the program
- Highly motivated and academically able to pursue a career in biomedical/cancer science
How to Apply
Applications will be accepted starting in February/March for Summer 2021. To complete your application, you will also need:
- A copy of your transcripts.
- A one-page personal statement detailing your career goals and how they connect with this program, your interest in biomedical cancer research, and your expectations from this program.
- Two letters of recommendation, one of which is from a teacher or college faculty member.
- A signed copy of the Parental Permission Slip – click here to download the form.
For assistance or additional information, contact RUYES@cinj.rutgers.edu.