New Brunswick, N.J. – Several physicians at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey have been named as a ‘Top Doctor for Cancer Care’ by Inside Jersey magazine. Rutgers Cancer Institute specialists were selected among the 419 doctors assessed and selected by a physician-led research team assembled by Castle Connolly Ltd. Selections were based on peer surveys that focused on attributes such as board certification, clinical skills, training, years in practice, administrative posts and other criteria.
“As the state’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center, Rutgers Cancer Institute is committed to recruiting and retaining top oncologists in the field. The physicians selected from Rutgers Cancer Institute for this year’s list span multiple clinical specialties providing a full breadth of oncology services including the delivery of state-of-the-art radiation and surgical technologies. Coupled with their ability to develop and translate scientific discoveries into new treatments for our patients, our physician scientists are instrumental in advancing important cancer research areas as precision medicine and immunotherapy. We are honored that our peers statewide recognize our dedication and commitment to the residents of New Jersey and beyond,” said Rutgers Cancer Institute Director Steven K. Libutti, MD, FACS, who is also senior vice president of oncology services for RWJBarnabas Health and vice chancellor for cancer programs at Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences, Rutgers University.
Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey physicians on this year’s list are also faculty members at Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson Medical School and practice at Rutgers Cancer Institute’s flagship hospital Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital. Those named to the 2017 list are:
- Robert Aiken, MD, Director, Neuro-oncology Program; specialty: brain cancer, clinical trials, neurologic complications of cancer
- Joseph Aisner, MD, Co-Director, Lung Cancer/Thoracic Oncology Program; specialty: lung cancer
- David A. August, MD, Section Chief, Gastrointestinal Surgical Oncology; specialty: gastrointestinal malignancies
- Joel K. Braver, MD, radiation oncologist; specialty: prostate, breast and lung cancers
- Richard Drachtman, MD, Section Chief, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology; specialty: pediatric cancers and blood disorders
- James S. Goydos, MD, Director, Melanoma and Soft Tissue Oncology Program; specialty: melanoma, skin cancer and sarcomas
- Bruce G. Haffty, MD, Chair, Radiation Oncology; specialty: breast cancer
- Michael G. McKenna, MD, radiation oncologist; specialty: prostate IMRT, breast cancer, and head and neck cancers
- Lorna Rodriguez, MD, PhD, Director, Precision Medicine and Interim Chief, Gynecologic Oncology Program; specialty: gynecologic cancers
- Roger Strair, MD, PhD, Chief, Hematologic Malignancies and Blood and Marrow Transplantation; specialty: leukemia and lymphoma
- Deborah L. Toppmeyer, MD, Chief Medical Officer, and Director Stacy Goldstein Breast Cancer Center and the LIFE Center; specialty: breast cancer
- Robert E. Weiss, MD, urologic oncologist; specialty: urologic cancers
A full listing of ‘Top Doctors’ can be found at: http://www.castleconnolly.com/doctors/index.cfm?source=ijtdfc. Full profiles of Cancer Institute doctors named to the list can also be found at http://www.cinj.org/physician/index.php.
About Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey
Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey (www.cinj.org) is the state’s first and only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center. As part of Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, Rutgers Cancer Institute is dedicated to improving the detection, treatment and care of patients with cancer, and to serving as an education resource for cancer prevention both at its flagship New Brunswick location and at its Newark campus at Rutgers Cancer Institute of New Jersey at University Hospital. Physician-scientists across Rutgers Cancer Institute also engage in translational research, transforming their laboratory discoveries into clinical practice that supports patients on both campuses. To make a tax-deductible gift to support the Cancer Institute of New Jersey, call 848-932-8013 or visit www.cinj.org/giving. Follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/TheCINJ.